Enchilada [en-chuh-lah-duh, -lad-uh] is the most popular street food in Mexico. Enchilada simply means dipped in chilli. It is a tortilla rolled and filled with a seasoned mixture (meat and/or vegetables) and covered with a sauce flavoured with chilli. I prepared a simple filling with chilli beans (available in supermarkets) and topped it with a flavourful tomato sauce.
Tortilla wraps-6 nos
Chilli beans- 1 can
Chopped tomato with herbs-1 can
Red onions; medium size- 1 1/2 nos
Butternut squash; chopped – 3 cups
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Cumin powder-1 tsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Garlic- 3 cloves
Cilantro- a bunch
Salt & Pepper- to taste
Oil- 2 tblsp
Fresh cream- 2 Tblsp
Cheddar Cheese- as reqd.
1. In an oven proof dish, add the chopped squash in a single layer. Drizzle oil, salt and pepper over the squash and toss it lightly.
2. In a preheated oven of 175 deg C, roast the squash for about 45mins.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil, and saute the onions (1 no.).
4. Add the minced garlic and stir until the raw smell of garlic disappears.
5. Add the spice powders, sugar, and continue cooking until the onion caramelizes.
6.Add the can of tomatoes and a cup of water and stir. Let the sauce reduce and thicken.
7. Remove from heat, add salt & pepper to taste. Keep aside and let the sauce cool.
8. In another saucepan, add the remaining oil, onions and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent.
9. Add the can of chilli beans, and mash it with the back of a spoon. Let it heat thoroughly. Finally add the butternut squash to the bean mixture. Add 2-3 tblsp of tomato sauce, fresh cream, salt & pepper.
10. Take a tortilla wrap, and add the bean mixture to the center. Roll the wrap and place it seam side down in an oven proof dish. Do the same with the rest of the wraps.
11. Spoon the sauce over the prepared tortilla wraps. Sprinkle cheese on top.
12. Heat the enchiladas in a preheated oven of 200 deg C, for 10-15 mins until the cheese melts.
13. Garnish the dish with fresh cream and cilantro. Serve hot.
Note: Add a chopped green chilli to the sauce for more heat.