I read this recipe here last week, I was so inspired that I immediately baked it. It is incredibly easy, and delicious. Since my small family was not feeling well the entire last week, i had little time left to jot down here. I hope you enjoy it as much as i did baking. Happy Weekend!
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Instant dry yeast -2 tsp
Warm water -1/4 cup
Water -to knead
Onion; sliced -4 large nos
Sugar -1 tblsp
Rosemary; dried -1 tsp
Basil; dried-1/2 tsp
Olive oil -1 tblsp
Black olives- a handful
- Add yeast to warm water; keep aside for 10 mins.
- Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and add more water to make a non sticky dough.
- Let the dough rest in the clean bowl coated in olive oil; for an hour or until it double in size.
- While the dough is resting, in a skillet add a tablespoon of oil. Saute onions with sugar until its caramelized. Add the herbs and stir well. Let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg cel.
- Punch the dough down, and divide into 8 portions.
- Take a portion of the dough, flatten the dough and shape it into a rectangle. Take a spoonful of the filling, and place it in the centre.
- Roll the dough around the filing and shape in the form of a cigar and join the ends to form a doughnut. Top with chopped olives.Let it rest for 30 mins.
- Bake the empanadas for 20-30 mins until the surface is light brown.
- Brush the top with butter once out of the oven. Serve it warm.